Wednesday, December 17, 2008

I've got a lot of dancing in my future

Is it just me or has this been an incredible social holiday season? Every morning I say to myself "self, we are going to stay home tonight & we're going to hunker down in our creative bunker!" but this is a promise I seem incapable of keeping. There is simply too much going on! Too many great invitations to turn down. This past weekend went by in a flash. My friend AD and I went to see the Sound & Style show at La Zona Rosa on Friday, which was unexpected and a lot of fun. The Sounds from Sweden (love them!) played & then they wrapped up the night with a fashion show. Team Fabrication, Goodie Two Shoes, & Boudoir Queen all had new pieces to romp around. I kinda dragged my feet about going, but in the end I was glad I didn't turn down a free night of dancing and inspiration. Then Saturday was pretty full. Awake @ 8am to package up holiday orders and hit the post office line. Then I was off to help out with the Lions photo shoot before their show. Spending my afternoon crawling around Trophy's roof w/ Danielle Thomas, Cory Ryan & 4 half naked boys. It was a lot of fun and I can't wait to see the shots that Cory got! She is one of my favorite Austin photographers. A few hours after cleaning up from the shoot I was back at Trophy's for the Lions & Local H show. Those boys are loud, proud, and ready to party! I think I crawled back to the house around 4 am. I know what you are thinking 'fashion shows and rock n roll, where's the pictures?' I'm very unhappy to say that my camera is currently out of commission. Sad but true. Getting it fixed is at the TOP of my to do list. Cross my heart.
Sunday I did manage to hibernate. I worked on some new designs for spring. They will be printed up next month when my social butterfly stops flapping her tired wings. I also worked on an illustration assignment for a story about Portland OR that will appear in Shebang, a music based fanzine out of the UK. It's no where near finished but I did finish some other drawings featuring knit and crocheted hair.
Once upon a time I was obsessed with knitting. I'd spend hours cruising around Hill Country weavers fawning over their impressive Japanese yarn collection, then my evenings purling my brains out... until one day I realized that I just wasn't very good at it. It was a hard thing to come to terms with, but hey - can't be good at everything, right? So I gave away all my yarn, my needles, my pattern books and now I think I'll just draw the things that I couldn't knit into reality. It all works out, my taste in yarn is a little pricey.
Anywho, while my list of things to do takes on monster proportions so does the list of things I want to do. Paleo, one of my favorite singer songwriters is playing on my birthday (Dec. 18th) @ the Parish) while The Dedringers & The Jungle Rockers are playing the Continental Club. That should be a late night. Then Friday Rio Rita is have a xmas dance party with all the Sock Hop Dj's. AND then there is the matter of the Trophy's annual x-mas party. It's a formal affair that I can't say no to.
My feet and liver are already tired. Maybe I'd just be happier if I stayed home...
or not.

Hopefully I'll have some pictures of my holiday escapades. Keep your fingers crossed for me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I know what you mean about the holiday season being really busy. I've had something every night this week already! Something about the recession must make people want to party... Eh, live it up now, there's plenty of time for hunkering down in the dark slushy days of late January and February. Love your blog btw : )